Voices from the Past

This forum is open to all of the villagers of Trelawnyd past and present


I would like for them to share their memories, old photographs, family histories and past Village news with me so that I may be able to present a comprehensive record of this small. ancient and facinating Welsh Village Community throughout the ages.


All photographs will be returned after being scanned and published

For those that want to read a comprehensive study on the History of Trelawnyd, please refer to the Book "TRELAWNYD PAST & PRESENT" by Daphne and Ken Davies

The Village Flower Show Blog can be viewed at

http://trelawnydflowershow.blogspot.com/
and my personal Village based blog can be seen at

http://disasterfilm.blogspot.com/

Best Wishes

John Gray

Trelawnyd 571838


Email : jgsheffield@hotmail.com
Many thanks to the following citizens of Trelawnyd for their conributions so far:
Mrs Gwyneth Jones, Mrs Gladys Jones, Mrs Olwenna Hughes, Mr Trevor Evans, Mr Hubert Evans, Mrs Bryn, Davies, Mr Islwyn Thomas, Mrs Pat Bagguley, Mrs Joanne Hewitt, Mrs Beryl Evans, Mrs Daphne Jones, Mrs Audrey Jones,Mr Basil Davies, Miss Mona Davies, Mr Graham Jones. Mrs Iola Endres

Mrs Audrey Jones






Mrs Audrey Jones
Age 87
Years in the Village 87










"My Grandfather John Ithal Jones was born in your cottage.....the date was sometime in the 1870s...born and brought up in that cottage he was......When he married he had two daughters....my mother Ceridwen and my aunt Rose.
When my mother married they lived in the prefabricated house Winstays, which was at that time a shop which sold sweets , tobacco and the like . It was also  fish and chip shop!
I was born there in 1924. The Woman that delivered me lived in Erw Wen and was a midwife in Liverpool or the Wirral. Her husband came to the village as the baker.

Audrey and her brother "blacked up" outside Winstay Cottage with their father
The district nurse that usually attended the births was on holiday so this Mrs Leese came to my mother to help.
She only delivered two babies in the village...me and Bob Davies...she wasn't official or anything...she only came to help....people did in those days."

A rare photo of Winstay house with Audrey's father with the horse

"My father turned his hand to anything jobwise and got a job on the bins in the 1930s. His sister, Nellie Hughes was the landlady of The Crown and her husband Tom Hughes was the blacksmith. In the 1940s my father bought Gop Farm and I had so much to do with looking after the cattle I didn't have time to join in with the village's civil defence"
Trelawnyd's Wartime Civil defence.
Bessie Bryn Teg is on the second row 5th from left.
Audrey's best friend Megan Lewis who lived in number 1 London Road is bottom row 3rd from the right.
The shop keeper I.P Jones is on the top row 2nd from the left
Audrey could name all but two of this group


"Things could be tough in the village when I was growing up, but generally people shared what they had....I remember Ester Parry who was an older lady who lived in the house that was the Cross Keys pub at one time. She used to go from house to house around the village doing washing up here and peeling potatoes there...all for a meal!
She adopted a little boy who was called Frankie Chalk! That was his proper name! He was born out of wedlock to a woman who had a bit of money and every now and then she would come to visit and give old Ester Parry some more money.......apparently the father was in the navy"

"You know I remember the very first sixpence I ever saw! we were all round at Ester Parry's for a sing song and Hywel Stuart who used to play the piano accordion gave me a sixpence to go to the shop on Chapel Street for him. I had to buy 2 pence chocolate, a packet of woodbines and laces for his shoes! (she laughs)
funny what you remember after all these years isn't it?"
Audrey's family home. When Audrey married she farmed the next farm down the hill to Dyserth Ty Newydd
Audrey's husband Lennis lived at the oldest house in the village Siamber Wen before his marrage to Audrey

5 comments:

  1. Loved this story. So much kindness....

    Is the world really like this anymore-I hope so is, but maybe we just don't hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about Trelawnyd and I very much love reading about its people.
    Thanks for doing this, John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John I enjoy these memories so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John
    You may have demolished the "brick wall" that people hit when researching their family tree
    I started a few weeks ago looking into my welsh roots but with a grandmother hughes and no maiden name I soon became unstuck
    Elizabeth was born in Newmarket and married a Ruthin man but could get no further
    I started to google ty newyedd as it was the farm I remember my auntie Audrey living at and we visited as a family
    Low and behold I stumbled on this site
    I'm fairly sure Audrey is my late dads cousin and if the cottage you are living in is her grand father birth place it may be my great grandmothers as well
    Hope you read this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen
    It is strange
    Audrey's youngest brother tommy was buried today in Trelawnyd ( formally Newmarket)
    If I can be of any further help please contact me
    jgsheffield@hotmail.com
    Best wishes
    John

    ReplyDelete